Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Reality TV Has Stolen My LIFE...

This summer has been very restful, without an overwhelming amount of commitments eating away at my spare time. The problem is, I've used this hiatus to indulge in my two favorite things: Bravo and A&E. You could turn on any show on these two stations, and I could sit there for hours without moving. I become hypnotized by the real life docu-dramas that basically follow shallow, self-absorbed people around as they talk about themselves. I'm addicted. I can't help it.

So, lately I've been finding myself having a hard time concentrating during the day. I can't stay focused on a project for a very long, and I believe this can be attributed to a serious lack of stimulation. My brain, for lack of a better term, is mush. So, for the next 30 days, I've decided to turn my TV off, and spend time participating in more enriching activities such as reading, learning how to play the guitar and/or violin I recently inherited from some friends, knitting, etc. The point is, I see the value in being a lifetime student. I love being challenged, and yet, for whatever reason, I've resigned myself instead to hitting auto-pilot and zoning out until it's time for bed. This madness needs to stop. TV's great, but in moderation, and I've officially gone over the deep end into the bottomless pit of high-definition hades.

That being said, I'd gladly welcome suggestions for some new books. I'm in the middle of "The Shack" by William P. Young, which, by the way, if you haven't read, I highly suggest you do. But, I'll be done with this soon, and am looking forward to a little brain exertion.

6 comments:

Leslie said...

hey-can you guys sign your name after your blogs? I dont know who is posting what...

either way I LOVE ALL OF YOU!!

Anonymous said...

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. We are reading it for book club..its awesome!!!

Or if you want something lighter, borrow D's Such a Pretty Fat. Hilarious!!

Rhiannon said...

A few years ago I read Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson and loved it. It's a good summer reading sort of book. Nat suggested The Great Gatsby, if you haven't read it. Or Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger. love you!

Liz said...

All great suggestions. Thanks to all.

Rhiannon - Great Gatsby is, in fact, one of my favorite books, and also one of the only books I enjoyed reading in high school (hahaha!)

Amy - Good call on "Such A Pretty Fat". Danielle had mentioned it and it sounds Hilarious!

Leslie - This is Liz. I wrote the blog. :)

Hilary said...

I can relate somewhat, but mainly just with Top Chef. For some reason, I cannot turn that show off. I will sit there for a marathon run of it and forget about everything else I had to do that night. Other than that, LOST is my obsession. It is in a whole different category of TV- it can and will take over your life and have you rearranging your priorities before you know it. :)

As for books, you know I can help you there! Of course mine are mostly non-fiction, but one that I enjoy is Letters to A Young Poet by Rainer Marie Rilke. It is a quick read, and very inspiring.

Anonymous said...

I need to take a break from TV but I don't think I could do it until after November 4th. i can't miss my election coverage.